Tank Hunting and some queries.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Lowdice

Tank Hunting and some queries.

Post by Lowdice »

Hi there,

We fought Scenario #2 from the Fall of France 1940 for the second time during the week. I will not mention that I failed to bring on the French tanks in either game, throwing 12 failed attempts in the latest slaughter. The two on table a/t guns were rapidly focused on by mortars, artillery, AFVs and the German 75mm howitzer giving the Germans free run by the end.

We explored new aspects to the rules including close assault, overruns by the Germans (my only success), recce etc. Everything worked out pretty well, the procedures I mean, not the result.

Anyway a few queries.

1. How does Tank Hunting work? The French have no inherent platoon a/t. I believe a platoon can Tank Hunt but only against a single AFV. I can’t see how this works. Do you declare a tank hunt against a specific AFV and use a move and assault order? As the Germans AFVs operated in platoons of two sections does the second German AFV play any part? Do you actually move the platoon if, as it states, it represents only a few men?

2. How does a MMG fire if attached to a platoon which is being subject to an AFV overrun? Does it just add 1 * d6 to the defending platoons 3 *d6? I understand the MMG does not play any part in Tank Hunting.

3. A SF MMG has a 1 * d6 HE effect in an A/T role. So a +7 to hit and SD ( if appropriate) with the rest of the a/t firing procedure. Is that correct?

4. What if the MMG is attached to a platoon, can it fire in an a/t role separately?

5. Combat Patrols can be removed by fire and reconnaissance. They can also be removed by driving on and over their positions by recce, AFVs and deployed platoons. Is that correct?

Thoroughly enjoying the rules otherwise. I’d also send my thanks and appreciation to those who have posted You Tube videos of their games. Enjoyable and informative on the rule mechanisms, with the occasional howler :D

Thanks In advance for any advice and clarification. It’s probably staring me directly in the face but I can’t see the wood for the trees!

Lowdice
DCRBrown

Re: Tank Hunting and some queries.

Post by DCRBrown »

LD,

1. How does Tank Hunting work? The French have no inherent platoon a/t. I believe a platoon can Tank Hunt but only against a single AFV. I can’t see how this works.

Do you declare a tank hunt against a specific AFV and use a move and assault order?

A = Yes. Platoons without inherent AT weapons can still go tank hunting. Assume they are using grenades, Molotov's, and anything they can get their hands on!

As the Germans AFVs operated in platoons of two sections does the second German AFV play any part?

A = No. See Tank Close Combat, Section 16.3, p79. Infantry select one AFV section to attack.

Do you actually move the platoon if, as it states, it represents only a few men?

A = You move the platoon but as per Section 16.3, it is in reality just a small group of men.

2. How does a MMG fire if attached to a platoon which is being subject to an AFV overrun?

A = It can React Fire with it's AT ability.

Does it just add 1 * d6 to the defending platoons 3 *d6? I understand the MMG does not play any part in Tank Hunting.

A - An attached MMG is simply part of the Early War platoon factor. There is no additional benefit. The MMG entry is only applied when the MMG is a single section.

3. A SF MMG has a 1 * d6 HE effect in an A/T role. So a +7 to hit and SD (if appropriate) with the rest of the a/t firing procedure. Is that correct?

A = Yes.

4. What if the MMG is attached to a platoon, can it fire in an a/t role separately?

A = Yes. It acts in the same manner as an attached PIAT or PanzerSchreck for AT purposes.

5. Combat Patrols can be removed by fire and reconnaissance. They can also be removed by driving on and over their positions by recce, AFVs and deployed platoons. Is that correct?

A = Yes.

DB
Lowdice

Post by Lowdice »

Thanks DB

Just on point 4. If you use an attached mmg within a platoon in the a/t role, the rest of the platoon can fire as normal?

Thanks for the other clarifications.

Lowdice
DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

LD,

Correct, the rest of the platoon can fire as normal all under the same order.

DB
Lowdice

Post by Lowdice »

Excellent. Thanks DB.

Lowdice