Lard Down Under at CANCON 2023

For gamers putting on TooFatLardies games at Shows and Conventions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Capt Fortier

Lard Down Under at CANCON 2023

Post by Capt Fortier »

LARD DOWN UNDER will take place at CANCON 2023 (21st, 22nd& 23rd January 2022), the convention of the Canberra Games Society (cgs.asn.au) at the justly named EPIC in Canberra, Australia.

LARD DOWN UNDER - THE LARD ZONE
For the three days, all things Lard will feature at CANCON in a special "Lard Zone" next to the participation game area in the main hall. A dedicated Facebook page (Lard Down Under CANCON 2023) has been created to coordinate the organisation and promotion of the event. At the moment, there are many games being proposed across the TFL suite and friends, including: Chain of Command (with plenty of games from Europe to the Pacific), Sharp Practice 2 and Go Sharp into the Desert, What a Tanker, Bag the Hun, What a Cowboy, O Group, and Strength & Honour.

Richard Clarke aka Lardy Rich will also be attending, so a great opportunity for those of us from the Great South Lard to get some insights from the Big Man of Big Men himself, to share some laughs and lagers, and maybe finally get some clarity on ...[insert your favourite TFL rule ambiguity here] ;)

I'm happy to pass on updates and messages from the organisers/Facebook posts to this forum for those who don't use FB.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
MLB

Re: Lard Down Under at CANCON 2023

Post by MLB »

This is shaping up to be a great event and something different for CanCon. Rather than having to commit to a tournament for one specific game, those who register will be able to select from a number of different games if they wish, for a few days of diverse gaming playing different rule sets and different periods. Having Rich present is a great bonus and will give TFL games the biggest profile it’s ever had at CanCon. Really looking forward to this.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

I love this whole concept, and am in. Now very busily painting GWI Ottomans and Greeks.
DougM

Post by DougM »

I'm hoping my experience of Indian Restaurants in Canberra will offer some support... even though I'm the other side of the world tell Tim I will come back and haunt hum...
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

I seem to remember a number of good Indian feeds while attending Cancon in past years. Hoping to make next years shenanigans.
DougM wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:01 pm I'm hoping my experience of Indian Restaurants in Canberra will offer some support... even though I'm the other side of the world tell Tim I will come back and haunt hum...
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Any difference from UK Indian restaurants?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

As I have only eaten in a few UK based Indian eateries, it is hard to answer that. The Indian restaurant scene outside India varies according to local preferences but as an Indian born chef said on a cooking show we watch, food in India varies from village to village. Most Oz based Indian restaurant food is good and varied.
BaronVonWreckedoften wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:53 pm Any difference from UK Indian restaurants?
DougM

Post by DougM »

Far fewer Indian restaurants in Oz, and the quality is hugely variable. Unlike the UK where bad Indian food will get you out of business very quickly. Just looking on the map, and it seems my favourite local (southside) one is no longer operating.
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Update from Lard Down Under FB:
THE GAMES AT LARD DOWN UNDER
All things Lard will feature at CANCON 2023 in a dedicated Lard Zone - try a new Lard game or play an old favourite. Lardy Rich of the Too Fat Lardies will be attending and run games over the weekend. Lard Down Under will have over 20 different games across the weekend. Up to 15 different games run simultaneously, including several big games using 6x8 and 6x12 tables. At this time Lard Down Under includes the following games:

Chain of Command:
  • "Band of Brothers" - Assault on Guns at Brecourt Manor, 28mm
  • Battle of Taierzhuang March 1938 (Chinese versus Japanese)
  • Battle for Wau Feb 1943 (Australians versus Japanese)
  • Pacific War Burma 1942
  • Kokoda refight
  • Pacific War: Chindits vs Japanese
  • Big CoC Late War in 28mm
What A Tanker:
  • 10mm North African Desert
  • Late War Melee - BYO 28mm Tank
O Group - Bootcamp
Strength & Honour - Bibracte Campaign 58BC
Charlie Don't Surf - Battle of Suoi Bong Trang 15mm
Sharp Practice - Three games, including, "Wadi, Wadi, Wadi, Oi, Oi, Oi" (Sudan variant ‘Go Sharp into the Desert’ as published in Lard Magazine 2021)
Bag the Hun - Battle of Darwin
Infamy Infamy - The Frontier of Rome
What a Cowboy!
CoC: The Napoleonic War Game
  • Divisional Command - 1813: Bratwurst and Lard - Prussians versus French in 28mm
  • Brigade and Divisional Command - The Peninsula War in 28mm - A Campaign of linked battles - Players will fight a series of linked battles, up to two games per day, as either Brigade or Divisional commanders. Players must provide there own troops.
CoC: The Cold War Game - "CoC-Up Over the Rhine"

ROOM FOR MORE - We have room for more games, so if you would like to run a game contact Lard Down Under via the FB page or you can PM me and I can put you in touch with the organisers.

TICKETING
Ticketing to the Lard Zone will be available in October on the CANCON 2023 website https://cgs.asn.au/cancon/. Watch this forum or the Facebook group for more details.

Participation Games - All games but one are participation style. Once you have booked a ticket you will be able to apply for the games you want to play each day. Players will be allocated to games on a first come first serve basis.

Ticket Prices for CANCON 2023 are confirmed at $40, $50 and $55 for one day, two days and three days of participation, respectively.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

DougM wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:49 am Just looking on the map, and it seems my favourite local (southside) one is no longer operating.
Out of interest Doug, which one was it?
Capt Fortier