Tank Company Commander

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

thesignaller

Tank Company Commander

Post by thesignaller »

Question regarding tank commanders of companies.

1. Normally Coy Cmndr can’t shoot, if he’s in a tank can he use the Commander Order to shoot his tank rather than give an order, move & shoot if needed.

2. When he’s KIA, as a spend of 1 command token a new CO appears next to one of the units, in the case of a tank commander will another tank (2iC) just take over the role for the 1 CP spend, rather than putting a dismount next to tank to jump in for another CP? Which seems daft to do

Thanks

DCRBrown

Re: Tank Company Commander

Post by DCRBrown »

TS,

1. CCs don't fire. The only exception to this is, I think it's permissible for a TC to fire at close range targets if targeted or if close assaulted. (I'll add this to the FAQs.)

2. Yes, that seems fine, any remaining tank can take over or the new 2IC arrives in the reserves in a new vehicle.

DB

thesignaller

Post by thesignaller »

So a tank isn’t wasted, what would you recommend for a tank company commander, a token figure similar to infantry?
Or still use an armoured vehicle maybe a Dingo or similar for each nation?
Or just field an extra tank but as you say above they only fire to return fire if at close range or if charged?

Thanks

fred

Post by fred »

In other games, I use what was used IRL - so generally a tank, but stats wise it counts as a command stand. But some kind of run-about vehicle would feel appropriate too.

siggian

Post by siggian »

Place a jeep, kubelwagon, or carrier behind the tank CC to indicate its status

Forst

Post by Forst »

So tank commanders can fire at close range only, I assume they still save on a 2+ like other commanders, but can't hold shock again like other commanders.

As far as I am aware most tank company commanders rode a single tank into battle, not a section of 2/3. So should they be treated like damaged sections? This would reflect the lower fire power, but mean they could die if they get damaged twice?

You could always mark them with extra aerials? They probably had extra radios to enable upward comms!

The Germans have several special tank variants with no guns but map tables etc, we're these used at coy level of were they battalion or higher level!

Mike H

Post by Mike H »

I suppose the other question is whether a tank company commander in a tank should be subject to the anti tank firing provisions so deciding what make of tank he is in is needed. In a game where it is a tank Btn not an infantry one - or Kampfgruppe /battlegroup game he would have the better or majority of the makes under his command . So no Tiger when all the rest are Pz IVs!

Forst

Post by Forst »

If it's a scenario the tank he's in would be defined anyway. If it's a points based one, then pay for the vehicle at cost.

As the tank coy commander can only fire at close range, or in melee, then it would be a waste to buy an expensive tank!

The bigger question would be at what range by anti tank can be be targeted?

I would suggest that if he is in integrity range of other tanks it is limited to close range or at most battle range as he would be one of several targets.

If out of integrity range he would be fair game for any firer!