FOO deployment

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

bvera

FOO deployment

Post by bvera »

Played my 2 first OGroup games this week and the rules are really brilliant.
I read that FOOs are deployed as in ambush and my question is when they should be actually placed on the table: 1/ When actívated for the first time to request fire?
2/Only when moved from the intial location?

Thanks
Benito
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/

nikjen66

Re: FOO deployment

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi B. We put the figures on the table at the start of the game but as they’re in ambush no one fire at them. But, thinking on it i’d Say as with any ambush perhaps they should be marked in secret on a map and only deployed on table if they move. If they stay put, unless an enemy unit scouts their position, they would remain hidden.

bvera

Post by bvera »

That the FO should be marked but be left offtable, I'm 100% positive after reading the rules.
What it's not clear is the moment that emerges on the table.
In principel hidden units emerged if activated (or if discovered by scouting enemy units) according to the rules and calling fire requires the unit to be activated.
that was the reason of my question
b
Last edited by bvera on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benito

JAH

Post by JAH »

I’d agree with Nikjen66 and say that they would stay hidden until moving, as simply calling in a mission wouldn’t reveal their position.

Edit: or until they’re revealed by reconnaissance in the usual ways.

Forst

Post by Forst »

In my games the problem of having the FOO model off table is normally the issue of measuring range and line of sight without showing where he's at!

I have thought about applying the over 30" range accuracy deduction as standard until he is on table? This not applying if using the terrain feature target option!

It's less of an issue if a Coy commander can spot, but this is not always the case. (Russians/early war)

In practice there is normally only a limited number of elevated positions in which they can be usefully deployed to cover the wider battle field, so I am leaning towards putting them on table like coy commanders. They are often in buildings, obscured and at range so hard to target so not that vulnerable.

JAH

Post by JAH »

Yeah I have wondered about the range thing. I’ve only been doing solo so far so just put it on table, but perhaps having him on table, but not being a valid target until he moves or is recced would work?

siggian

Post by siggian »

I don't know if "they are often in buildings" is true, or at least for the effective ones. I read a book written by a FOO and he said that he made a mistake when he chose a house as his post because that was the closest he came to death. When he called for artillery, the Germans reacted by mortaring the house.

Then there are the plentiful stories of the Allies shelling church towers on the off chance there would be observers in them.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Forst wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:08 am
In my games the problem of having the FOO model off table is normally the issue of measuring range and line of sight without showing where he's at!
Have you considered using the old trick of measuring the range from the target rather than the FOO then sweep your tape measure in an arc across all the possible FOO positions. That way you can check what range band he is in without giving away his exact position.

John

bvera

Post by bvera »

Wouldn’t be much easier telling your opponent to leave the room for a minute and check the distance? This is what we usually do in my club
Benito