British versus French basing

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica, DCRBrown

Emilio

British versus French basing

Post by Emilio »

Hi all

I wonder if there is a difference in the game if british minis are based in a looser formation (two tanks deep in reality) than french minis (three ranks deep in reality). I feel that in real life it was important. A 500 strong british battalion would have a longer front than a 600 strong french battalion. What do you think?

EQUITES

Re: British versus French basing

Post by EQUITES »

Hi Emilio,
Before GdA, I have played GdB for many years and at page 9 of GdB rule book referring to Base Size for 15mm figures is stated " British infantry should be mounted 12mm per figure to help reflect the two rank structure".
Then my British standard unit is composed by 5 bases 36mmx 25mm (nominally 30 figures) and my French standard unit is composed by 6 bases 30x30mm (nominally 36 figures with 10mm per figure in scale 1:20). They look good on table.
Michele

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Emilio,
To be honest I think it is an unnecessary complication which wouldn’t enhance the gaming experience. However, if it mattered visually to you then try it, but beware of the risk of creating too easy an opportunity of allowing multiple units to contact a single line.

The rules already recognise that few units in the field conformed to their theoretical size and could vary widely in numbers. Hence the fact that a Standard battalion covers anything from 475-750 men. In theory a battalion could vary in frontage by as much as the difference between the British and French in your example and still be considered to be a standard battalion under the rules.

Aesthetically placing the British in a looser formation would run counter to their historic practice which I believe packed the men in shoulder to shoulder. You would need to pack more figures into the space if you increase the frontage.

Also historically the French used a 2 rank formation when necessary to hold a given frontage.

While the difference in frontage might be a significant factor to consider if we were replicating a fight between two individual battalions in detail, when viewed from the perspective of a Division or Corps Commander it becomes irrelevant. All that matters to him is whether or not a battalion is able to hold its position if in defence or take the opponent’s position if on the attack. The exact frontage it occupies is of no relevance.

Just my 2p worth.

John

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

Thanks for your answers guys.

Milo.