Skirmisher additional movement use

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

pman

Skirmisher additional movement use

Post by pman »

Is it possible for Skirmisher unit to start behind light cover, but not up to it so it cannot shoot or be shot at, Use first action to move up to light cover, second action to shoot and additional movement to back-of the light cover again (back to safety) ??

regards

Peter

sjwalker51

Re: Skirmisher additional movement use

Post by sjwalker51 »

Definitely - perfect skirmish tactics, ideal for Woodland Indians and others like them.

The only risk is that you roll a ‘1’ for the movement back and remain in LOS of the enemy - but that’s what makes it interesting!

Munin

Post by Munin »

Also remember that you end up facing in the direction you moved - so if you move up, fire, and move away, you end up facing away from your opponent. This means if you roll poorly on your retrograde movement, you not only end up still within the enemy's line of sight, you also end up with your back exposed!

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I don't think that the manoeuvre described in the original post is permissible, or if it is, it is too "gamey" for a TFL ruleset. Skirmishers are, by their very nature, harder to hit/easier to save, in order to reflect the nature of the tactics they used. However, an entire unit would not employ the tactic described above, because their commander(s) would, if worth their salt, always have some part of the unit in contact with the enemy at all times, so you would never have an entire group rushing forward, firing, and then rushing back again - they would simply make the most of whatever cover was available to them and engage the enemy from there.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

BvW; I don’t agree that such a tactic is too ‘gamey’, but I take your point - those Skirmishers are going to count as being in Hard Cover if they stay put (and Light Infantry are even further advantaged) so might choose to remain in contact with the enemy, but that’s what makes using skirmish troops well quite a challenge, with all sorts of different options.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Baron,
Like Simon I believe that the tactic suggested by Peter in his original post is permitted within the rules and it is not too gamey. Popping out to fire and then retire is something which skirmishers did on occasion. However, it is fraught with risk and not a tactic I would recommend since its use is can be punished severely if you get the timing wrong and the enemy plays his cards right.

As has been pointed out, the movement dice need to operate in your favour or the skirmishers could find themselves unloaded with their backs to the enemy and vulnerable to a volley if they haven’t managed to get more than 4” into the light cover. Also the need to reload next turn means that if they try to repeat the tactic they will be caught in their firing position at the end of the second turn. Or possibly caught sooner if their now alerted enemy interrupts.

It’s also a tactic whose used is confined to trained Skirmish troops since Irregular Skirmishers don’t benefit from the additional movement action.

John