Fisticuffs SP2 vs Infamy

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

bunguster

Fisticuffs SP2 vs Infamy

Post by bunguster »

Hi to all. My group have been playing a lot of Sharp Practice lately and when enjoying a brief interlude with an Infamy game it struck me that there is a significant difference in the kill / shock determination in fisticuffs for both games.
My question is has anyone tried the Infamy system of 5=shock; 6=shock+kill for Sharp Practice?
(For ref SP2 has 5=kill; 6=kill+shock).
My thinking is that according to most authors crossing of bayonets was comparatively rare in the Napoleonic period so a higher incidence of accrued shock relative to kills might be more appropriate.
The converse is that in Infamy melees the SP2 system of higher kills to shock might also be more appropriate to the hand to hand nature of the ancient period, but that discussion should possibly be on the other forum.
My group are going to try this out for our next few SP2 games but I would be interested if anyone else has given this a go.
Regards
Paul C

siggian

Re: Fisticuffs SP2 vs Infamy

Post by siggian »

If you view kills as including people running away with no chance of rallying and also surrenders, the high casualties makes sense.

Captain Reid

Re: Fisticuffs SP2 vs Infamy

Post by Captain Reid »

siggian wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:03 pm
If you view kills as including people running away with no chance of rallying and also surrenders, the high casualties makes sense.
Agreed. A kill in SP (and CoC) is not necessarily, or even often, an actual incapacitating wound or outright kill. It also tends to make close assaults/charges quick and decisive events, which they often were historically.

In ancient times casualties were very low until one side broke and ran, so 6s to kill for Infamy make sense to me. Also, because melee is almost essential to Infamy, and because ancient melee was often quite prolonged, having a more drawn-out combat resolution makes sense.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.